Sunday, June 3, 2012

Jambo!

Currently I am sitting on a porch with a warm sun beaming down on me, birds chirping, leaves the size of my torso arching over me, breathing in sweet Tanzanian air....and finally this is reality and not a dream that I will wake up from!

The 30 hours of traveling went so smoothly- no delays, no missed flights, and I only began to feel nauseous from lack of sleep and the questionably-warmed airplane food before my fourth and final flight.  Luckily, I fell asleep before this flight left the ground and I woke up 30 minutes later feeling slightly less queasy and re-energized with excitement.  After another meal of curried veggies, fruit in a cup, and cheese and crackers (which further disgruntled my stomach) we flew over Mount Kilimanjaro- the highest peak in Africa- and landed in the town below.  Sitting in one of the closest seats to the exit, I was one of the first people off the plane and bounded down the steps to the tarmac below.  Finally: Tanzania!

During the 45 minute drive from Kilimanjaro to Arusha was 45 minutes, my driver skillfully dodged cars, trucks, people, and cows while I sat in the back seat, simply soaking up the beauty of the land, watching people go about their business, walking, talking, and working in villages and fields we passed.  It is still the rainy season and the plants are definitely showing their appreciation for the water:  corn stalks are taller than I am, trees are green and flowering, and the soil is dark with moisture.

Yesterday I ventured into the inner city with two other volunteers where we made our way through the busy streets, frequently stopped by locals who curiously stared at us strange foreigners, often anxious to interact and offer their traditional Swahili greeting: Jambo(Hello)! or Haribu (Welcome)! We walked through the marketplace staring in awe at the amount of food, clothes, and people that surrounded us.  I expect to return here many times throughout the stay.


Training begins tomorrow! And with that, a bit more schedule to these lazy days I have been living. But as the saying goes: Hakuna matata- there is no worries. 


Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment