Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Flight Will Not Wait

My trip here is soon ending.  The plane takes off at 5:15pm and I have promised my family and friends in the States that I will be at the Kansas City airport tomorrow at 5pm when it lands.  

Last week I taught Sustainable Agriculture for just two days so that I could spend one day interviewing doctors and nurses at the Tengeru District Hospital to gather last bits of information for my research.  This semester I will use my research to supplement my thesis of studying how Tanzanians make decisions about treating illness and what needs to be done to improve the health of Tanzania.  Before this project, I will compile the observations I have made about the role of GSC and other NGO's in implementing social services and people's attitudes towards these NGO's.  I will also create a presentation with information about parasites and diseases that are common in Tanzania.  

On Wednesday, a Rockhurst friend who was also volunteering in East Africa met me in Arusha and I gave her a tour of the city that has been my summer home.  We left for Dar es Salaam on Thursday, the first leg of our journey to Zanzibar.  After over two months of service work, we wanted to spend just a few days relaxing before returning just in time for the fall semester.  Zanzibar provided for us an incredible vacation location.  The white sand beaches, crystal blue waters, and Arabian culture made for an enjoyable weekend complete with snorkeling, star-fish, late-night dancing, and Arabic lessons. The 3-day stay was just long enough before coming back to Arusha for last goodbyes.


 It is difficult to leave, but exciting things await for me in the States.  Someday I want to return to Tanzania: when- I do not know, but soon.  Until I know, back to the States I fly! 

Thanks to all who have supported this trip.  I hope you have enjoyed these blogs and experiences that I have shared!

Kwaherini.

No comments:

Post a Comment